Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chris Jericho Speaks - TNA Debut?, WWE Contract, Vince, More

Chris Jericho gave an interview to the UK Sun about his wrestling future. Check out the highlights:

On whether he would sign with TNA: "I have a certain understanding with Vince. Sometimes he gets mad at me, sometimes I get mad at him. But the bottom line is I love wrestling and I love the WWE. I will NEVER wrestle anywhere other than the WWE. That's a given and everyone knows it. I'm a creative person and, just like the boss, I'm going to do things that creatively stimulate me. Vince is surrounded by a lot of yes men and I think he is very refreshed by the fact that I'm not a yes man."

On the internet: "I've always had an air of mystery. I love the hardcore fans and if there was an Internet back in the '80s I would have been on it too, but I like to pull their chain. People don't know as much as they think they know."

On his current status: "So my status right now is that I've got a big Fozzy tour coming up for the next three weeks in the UK, that's what I'm looking forward to right now, and what happens after that is what happens after that. I could tell you everything that is going on in black and white, but that wouldn't be as fun. You'll have to wait and see how things play out. I got kicked in the head in WWE and now I'm coming to the UK to rock my socks off."

On his WWE character: "I love being able to tread that line throughout the course of a show, to get people happy and angry within a five-minute span of time. It's not just a matter of studying wrestling, it is a matter of being around for years. There are not a lot of guys in this business who can say that they've been around for that long and been to all these different places that I've been. I can just fall back on those experiences, come to the ring with a huge cheer then make people boo and make them cheer again. Stuff like that keeps it interesting for me."

On when he might retire: "I think when it's time for me to be finished in wrestling, finished on camera, then I'll be finished with the business, maybe completely. I might end up doing commentating or something like that. I have a journalism degree but I'd rather the person who is being written about, rather than the person who is writing. I think it's the same with creative. I don't think I'd ever be able to give up the spotlight. Kicking and screaming, if I had to I would, but I feel I'm more of a creative person in front of the camera than behind it."

On his change in character following his 2007 return: "That character on my return was because I didn't want to be a nostalgia act. I wanted to reinvent completely. It was like the inspiration people take from Madonna and Kiss — acts who would completely reinvent themselves album by album, still remaining true to themselves as an artist but changing things up. My attitude was that people see me 52 weeks out of a year on weekly TV, so I'd be pretty freakin' boring if I looked the same, acted the same, had the same moves, the same catchphrase and the same schtick every single night."

On keeping this fresh: "Unlike with music, in wrestling, you could do the same act for 30 years. Look at Flair or Hogan or guys that have been around for years. They do the same thing. Although Hogan reinvented himself with the nWo, a guy like Flair does the same thing every night and people want to see it. I've always been the type of guy that wants to change, adapt and morph from year to year. The Undertaker has done that. I've called him the 'Madonna of wrestling'. We laugh about it. He constantly changes his look, his appearance, his act. He adds things to it, does different moves, has different ring music and can then go back to the tried and true formula that works. He's always been an inspiration. I look back through the matches on my new DVD and I am different all the way through. If you looked back and you were the same for the last 10, 15 or 20 years, you'd be like, 'Man, that's pretty boring'."

No comments:

Post a Comment